Hip hop started off rhyming to 16 bars before Erik B and Rakim came along and broke up the technique with multi-syllable rhymes, which Biggie smoothed over.
Fast-forward to today…
Mos def makes lyrical poetry. Kendrick Lamar personalizes his raps with motives (re: short musical ideas) while MF Doom cleverly manipulates his bars with uneven phrasing and punchlines.
I’m surprised the video didn’t include Nas so I inserted him below. Written at age 16, performed at 18: NAS “Live at the Barbeque.”
Since you are here...
- Everyone should blog. Read my tutorial on how to set up a blog on WordPress
- Download the best FREE writing tool on the planet, Grammarly
- Check out the tools I recommend for all creatives on Amazon
- Increase your productivity with scientifically optimized music to help you focus
- Dig the blog? Make a donation 🙏