- “God constructed our world like a bad computer designer.” I watched a Facebook live stream of the ever-fascinating Slavoj Zizek at Sci-Arc while my brother, an architecture student, watched from the audience.
- “Passwords are to computers what socks are to washing machines.” Read the piece When Things Go Missing. Speaking of lost, I love when the Internet makes old things (e.g. missing reggae records) available again.
- “We are using the acceleration of information transmission to decelerate changes in our physical world.” Must our imaginations be limited by the screen? That would be a shame.” Check out Tyler Cowen’s new book The Complacent Class: The Self-Defeating Quest for the American Dream. Here’s my take on the world’s ramming speed.
- Evil is infectious. Plus Winston Churchill reminds us of the importance of a free press: “A free press is the unsleeping guardian of every other right that free men prize; it is the most dangerous foe of tyranny.”
- “To you, clerk, literary man, sedentary person, man of fortune, idler, the same advice. Up!” Take the advice of Walt Whitman and don’t forget to get some exercise this weekend.
digging in the crates
- You can add The Defenders ‘Our Rights’ to the recent explosion of reggae gems that have been repackaged and released online. Originally produced in 1975 on the Micron Music Limited label, the track returns on the Every mouth must be fed compilation courtesy of UK-based Pressure Sounds. | LISTEN
- If the tune ‘NNGE’ is any indication, Oddisee is prepared to sharpen his words to meet these darker times. | LISTEN
- ‘Ocean Drums’ is a broken beat techno tune from underground producer LOOP LF. | LISTEN
Since you are here...
- Everyone should blog. Share your art by creating a site on WordPress. Read my tutorial on how to set up a blog for more.
3. Increase your productivity with scientifically optimized music to help you focus
Disclaimer: If you click on any of the links above, I may get a commission from WordPress, Grammarly, or Focus@Will respectively, which helps support all the expenses and work I do for this daily blog.