- “Riddim from the ghetto, lyrics from the streets.” That’s how Lee ‘Scratch’ Perry described reggae. Here he is producing from his Kingston, Jamaica studio in 1977.
- Burberry’s Britishness. Red Bull’s energy and fearlessness. Prada’s edginess and bold product design. This is what the German composer Richard Wagner called leitmotiv, the signature concept of a brand that makes it impossible to ignore. Read The Power Of Leitmotiv Note: Wagner the man was “rightly considered an indelible and embarrassing stain.”
- We are skilled without even thinking — what Thomas H. Huxley in 1874 called ‘conscious automata’ and what American philosopher and cognitive scientist Daniel Dennett calls, ‘competence without comprehension’ in his new book From Bacteria to Bach: The Evolution of Minds.
- “If you put someone in front of a slot machine, their brain will look qualitatively the same as when they take heroin,” says the author of Irresistible: The Rise of Addictive Technology. This is why we’re hooked on our phones.
- Waltham, Massachusetts was an outsider town along the Underground Railroad. Its residents were considered the first industrial middle class in America. “The Waltham Watch Factory made the first mass-produced watch. The iPhone of its day, it was responsible for mechanizing the movements of the Union Army during the Civil War.” Read Sight Unseen A neighborhood along the Underground Railroad
- I visited the Yayoi Kusama Infinity Mirrors this week. Amazing.
- You are not our thoughts. Thoughts are just thoughts. But you are your actions. How you determine what’s reasonable and worth doing versus what’s irrational and worth ignoring demonstrates the emotional strength of your thinking mind. Read 5 Questions That Will Make You Emotionally Strong
- Chewing on this quote: “I cannot remember the books I’ve read any more than the meals I have eaten; even so, they have made me.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
digging in the crates
- “I honestly don’t see music, I just see information, data, programming, electricity, biochemistry.” Peep the new track ‘X22RME’ from Wolverhampton electronic producer Actress | Listen
- Sherwood & Pinch are London-based dub producers Adrian Sherwood and Rob Ellis aka Pinch. This is the second collaboration from the duo that originally met at the Fabric London night club. ‘Itchy Face’ is one of the standout arrangements on the latest record Man Vs. Sofa, trickling with their trademark bassline punches before stepping into soft touches of the piano. | Listen
- Joakuim is an electronic producer from Marseille, France. He apparently spent some time in Mexico City where some friends introduced him to the liquid drum n bass sounds of Alix Perez and Lenzman. The influence is evident, while he’s personalized his vibe with smooth-house touches. | Listen