- “Mindfullness needs a redesign.” I’m reading Rohan Gunatillake’s new book Modern Mindfulness so I can learn how to better use technology to help me relax on-the-go.
- How do you define war? “If civilization has an opposite, it is war. Of those two things, you have either one, or the other. Not both.” A warning of words from Ursula K. Leguin’s 1963 novel The Left Hand of Darkness
- Design creates function. As Austrian architect, Hermann Czech writes, “The ‘function’ does not precede the design, but is always only mediated in the design.”
- The idea of what Ray Kurzweil calls ‘mind uploading’ isn’t as far-fetched as it seems. Read ‘Your animal life is over. Machine life has begun.’
- Creator’s dilemma: “We’ve made it easier than ever to make stuff, and harder than ever to make enough money to live.” Creatives are fucked. And it may be too late.
- “It’s such an American thing that nothing is real until it’s on television.” – Tom Nichols. As Charlie Brown says after looking into the dark sky: “Let’s go inside and watch television. I’m beginning to feel insignificant.”
- Thinking about this: Social media divides democracy
digging in the crates
- Rapper lojii and beat maker Swarvy are a hip-hop duo currently based in Los Angeles. Their collaborative album Due Rent debuted on the Fresh Selects label, responsible for acts like Iman Omari who’s track Kendrick Lamar sampled in his stunning performance at the 2016 Grammy’s. Similar to ‘Omari’s Mood,’ the track ‘outchea…’ is a short track which boasts a horn sample but gets the added layer of lojii’s smooth lyrics. | LISTEN
- Kelly Lee Owens is a London-based electronic producer. Her eponymous debut album pairs together deep techno vibes to balearic beats and drifting vocals. ‘Bird’ is one of the highlights of this fantastic album. It fades in at the 1:45 mark. | LISTEN
- Rebecca Foon is Saltland, a Montreal-based cellist. Her newest album A Common Truth features a well-rounded mix of classical music, gentle electronica, and floating vocals. The track ’Forward Eyes II’ is one of the more ethereal tunes on the album, strung out in cello, violin, and a looping instrumental synth. | LISTEN
EXPLORE MORE INTERESTING POSTS