If you’re looking to boost your memory and brain power, this video contains some excellent tips and reminders.
- Exercise. Physical exercise helps form new brain cells and solidifies existing neurons. It also increases the hippocampus brain area which is responsible for memory and learning.
- Never stop learning. Learning something new builds new brain cells. In fact, parts of your brain shrink when you stop learning. Be a life-long learner!
- Play music. Learning to play music stimulates your verbal memory. This is because music training improves your left temporal lobe.
- Use Mnemonics. Associate new information with a shortcut of memorable images, sentences, or simple words. Also, try the Acrostic and Mind Palace techniques. The more you can combine words with images, the stronger your brainpower. Keep in mind what Einstein said about creativity.
- Gain new experiences. Do small things like eating with your weaker hand to stimulate more connections between areas of your brain. Such practice also strengthens nerve cells and ward off the negative impact of aging.
- Try brain games. You can also
work outyour brain with puzzles, crosswords or Sudoku. Playing brain games improves cognition and keeps surviving neurons active.
- Eat omega-rich foods. Your brain needs omega-3 fatty acids to function at its optimal level.
- Challenge your brain. It’s vital to do small tasks like practicing math skills so you don’t outsource all your thinking to computers.
Above all, stay mentally active by engaging in mental stimulation. That does not mean chasing the nearest dopamine hit. Do any of the above tips on a daily basis instead.