I finally got to meet her, hug included! Notes from Tina Roth Eisenberg Keynote at SXSW:
Tina's “Eleven Rules I Live By:”
- Invest your life in what you love. Tina doesn't distinguish between work and play; they are one continuous stream of love.
- Embrace enthusiasm. Tina says “When you're enthusiastic about something, you keep going.” Enthusiasm makes you blind to fear and failure.
- Don't complain. Make things better. Tina created Tattly out of the urge to make what she wanted. “The best way to complain is to make things.” – James Murphy, LCD Soundsystem
- Trust and empower. Tina recommends to let go of responsibility by hiring talented folks. She notes: “The shift from maker to manager is hard. I see the designer who becomes CEO and wants to meddle with everything.”
- Experiences > Money. The money comes, eventually. Tina encourages us to care about what we make, such as what she did in establishing Creative Mornings. “A labor of love always pays off.” – Scott Belsky
- Surround Yourself with Likeminded people. Tina poked the audience with a quote from Seth Godin: “Who you hang out with determines what you dream about and what you collide with.”
- Collaborate. Tina encourages us to step away from ego and collaborate whenever we can. Give up to get more.
- Ignore haters. “Stay away from people that are fond of disliking things,” Tina implores.
- Make Time to think and breathe. This is actually one of Tina's goals. Like many of us, we're all living life in the fast lane and forgetting when and how to slow down. I previously blogged about doing nothing. “Wonderful things happen when your brain is empty.” – Maira Kalman
- If an opportunity scares you, take it. To which Tina adds: “Decide you want it more than you're afraid of it.” Fears are really opportunities in disguise.
- Be yourself. Be Eccentric. Tina ended with this from Abraham Lincoln: “Whatever you are, be a good one.”
Above all, Tina reminds us take initiative and put a dent in the universe.
“The perfect moment is never here.” – Tina Roth Eisenberg
Why wait? Remember to have fun.