I’m attending the SXSW conference this week. Below are some of my favorite quotes from the sessions so far:
David Brooks, NY Times
- “Suffering brings you down and shoots you upwards.”
- “It’s a great moral virtue to know what another person is thinking.”
- “Self respect is being better than you used to be.”
- “Forgiveness is the final form of love.”
Stephen Alvarez, NatGeo Photographer
- On the Smartphone/DSLR: “I don’t make a distinction anymore.”
- “People that think in square (crop) shoot better for Instagram.”
Bill Gurly (VC) in conversation with Malcolm Gladwell
The two discussed health reform, Uber’s disruption, and hacking as the new arms race. There weren’t any significant quotes, just a good conversation between smart people.
+ Gladwell referred to his thought hobbies as “hobbyhorses.” I’m going to start using that term myself to describe the things I too often dwell on.
Overheard on 6th Street
- “I met my boyfriend on Tumblr.”
+ I’ve been to SXSW three years in a row. It’s fair to say that the interactive portion of the festival has peaked, and probably for the best. The conference was getting too big, too branded. However, this year’s crowd is more global, mostly a mix of Europeans and Japanese.
To Be Continued…